The general public will next month have a chance to find out how the design of new strong yet lightweight products is addressing some of the world’s greatest challenges at the “How to Knit a Rocket: Advanced Fibre Design Expo.”
A feature of the City of Geelong’s 2020 Design Week, the Advanced Fibre Cluster Geelong is hosting a high-level panel discussion and a series of lightning presentations from members revealing how design is critical to global problem-solving.
The expo, to be held on the afternoon of March 26 at the Waurn Ponds Estate, will showcase what carbon fibre composites offer, from better efficiencies for lightweight vehicles to higher performance sporting equipment and beyond.
This free Expo includes invited speakers from Carbon Revolution, Geelong’s rising star in the automotive sector, the Innovative Manufacturing CRC, and Deakin University.
Attendees will hear how new materials are revolutionising aerospace and space, the automotive and urban mobility sector, sports and textiles, as well as producing durable light-weight solutions for a cleaner, greener future..
Cluster members include cutting edge companies and organisations such as Carbon Nexus, Carbon Revolution, Quickstep, Sykes, CSIRO, GMS Composites, ACS Australia, Austeng, Andritz, Partington Advanced Engineering and HeIQ.
- Carbon Nexus is a purpose-built research facility designed to accommodate the diverse needs of international manufacturing organisations that require carbon fibre-related projects that are strategic and complex.
- ASX-listed Carbon Revolution supplies carbon fibre wheels to the global automotive industry, manufacturing the highest performing wheels for some of the fastest cars and most prestigious brands in the world.
- Quickstep is a global provider of advanced composite solutions to the aerospace, defence, automotive and other advanced manufacturing sectors. The company is able to manufacture complex composite parts and assemblies for ‘build to print’ applications, along with the design, development and manufacture of complex engineered products for its customers.
- CSIRO has been in Geelong 70 years and over the past 15 years has transitioned to technical textiles and fibres, with the current focus on carbon fibre, in particular novel precursor polymers, carbon fibre structure and properties, and applications in composites.
- Sykes is a leading manufacturer of world-renowned rowing shells.
- GMS Composites is leading the way in carbon fibre and other “pre-impregnated” composites used in Aerospace, Ballistic & Defence, Automotive & Motorsport, Sports & Leisure, Marine, and Rail & Transportation markets.
- Partington Advanced Engineering is an innovative composites-centric multi-materials engineering firm.
- ACS Australia has over 25 years of experience in advanced composites and is known globally for solving challenging problems in novel ways. ACS has worked with major companies, research organisations and government entities.
- Austeng is a boutique engineering firm that specialises in customised electromechanical machinery and systems.
- Andritz is the new benchmark for innovative fabrics, felts, rolls technology and services and supplies the global Pulp and Paper sector as well as other process industries.
The expo will be held from 4pm to 6.30pm on Thursday March 26 at the Waurn Ponds Estate, Deakin University, Nicol Drive South, Waurn Ponds.